New album available to download digitally from Friday June 17…a month before the official launch!
‘An astounding and soulful album. But with that line-up of world class players I wouldn’t
expect anything less.’
‘It’s really, really good.’
Paul Jones, BBC Radio 2
‘Kinda jazzy, kinda bluesy, kinda souly – lots of influences – great singing, great playing –
this album is very good – very enjoyable.’
Paul Long, BBC producer
Epk for 'Under the Same Sun'
WATCH ONLINE ON YOUTUBE CHANNEL
American saxophonist Dave Lewis’s raw and lyrical sound is perfectly matched by the soulful intensity and searing blues vocals of Lizzie Deane.
The band lays down the deepest grooves with space for virtuosic improvisation and breathtaking interplay.
These guys pick up the standard from where the Crusaders, Rufus and the Meters left off. With their original material and evocative lyrics 1UP bring their own contemporary edge to the groove. Above all it’s a band of outstanding musicians who play as one.
The band members are :
Dave Lewis (Sax), Lizzie Deane (Vocals), Adam Phillips (Guitar), Al Cherry (Guitar), Robin Aspland (Keys), Neville Malcolm (Bass), Rod Youngs (Drums), Pete Eckford (Perc), Fi Carroll (Lyrics)
.'Great musicians, great friends – who feel the groove and love the music.' CLICK FOR MORE
Dave leads ‘1UP’ with raw, lyrical emotion and a horn full of funk. His sound is steeped in the Blues – his St. Louis roots come through.
Amongst others, Dave has performed/recorded/toured with:
John Martyn, Lamont Dozier, Bryan Ferry, Joan Armatrading, John Mayall and Eric Clapton & The Blockheads.
Dave’s Top 5 Album Recommendations:
- Hubert Sumlin – ‘Kings Of Chicago Blues’
- Dexter Gordon – ‘Dexter Blows Hot and Cool’
- Joe Henderson – ‘Page One’
- King Curtis – ‘Live At Fillmore West: Memphis Soul Stew’
- Rufus– ‘Rags to Rufus’
.'Jazz, Soul, Funk - all the things I absolutely adore - we genuinely have a good time.' CLICK FOR MORE
Soulful intensity – searing blues vocals – Lizzie totally embodies the spirit of a song.
Amongst others Lizzie has performed/recorded/toured with:
Pee Wee Ellis & Fred Wesley (JB Horns), Carleen Anderson, Mica Paris, Jocelyn Brown, Belinda Carlisle & Boy George
Lizzie’s Top 5 Album Recommendations:
- Michael Jackson – ‘Off The Wall’
- Stevie Wonder – ‘Songs In The Key Of Life’
- James Brown – ‘James Brown’s Funky People’ (Part 1 – compilation album… I know it’s cheating!)
- Tower Of Power – ‘Soul Vaccination: Live’
- Gorecki – ‘Symphony No 3’
.'It’s like cooking the perfect arrabbiata - and this band is all about that - if want you bring onion, or garlic, or basil or cake - you can.' CLICK FOR MORE
Adam is able to entrance an audience with a beautiful phrase one minute, then devastate them with searing blues the next. He’s the real deal – a guitarist’s guitarist.
Amongst others, Adam has performed/recorded/toured with:
Tina Turner, Cher, Rod Stewart, Lionel Ritchie, Richard Ashcroft & David Bowie
Adam’s Top 5 Album Recommendations:
- Marvin Gaye – ‘What’s Going On’
- George Harrison – ‘All Things Must Pass’
- Donny Hathaway – ‘Donny Hathaway Live’
- B.B. King – ‘B.B. King Live At The Regal’
- The Band – ‘The Band’
.'I love the Blues - I’ve got the Blues - but I smile.' CLICK FOR MORE
‘Level-Neville’ is bass-ability personified –
Amongst others, Neville has performed/recorded /toured with:
Roy Ayers, Joss Stone, Billy Cobham, Gregory Porter, Tom Jones, Mavis Staples and George Benson.
Neville’s Top 5 Album Recommendations:
- Donny Hathaway – ‘Everything Is Everything’
- Bob Marley – ‘Catch A Fire’
- Pat Metheny – ‘Still Life Talking’
- Salif Keita – ‘Soro’
- Jeff Lorber – ‘Wizard Island’
.Coming soon CLICK FOR MORE
A great jazz guitarist with real blues and rock credentials – with his left-hand Telecaster Al tells it the way it is.’
Amongst others Al has performed/recorded/ toured with:
Albert Lee, Paloma Faith, Lisa Stansfield, Cat Stevens, Darryll Jones (Rolling Stones), Deodato & Percy Sledge.
Al’s Top 5 Album Recommendations:
- Robert Johnson – ‘King of the delta blues singers Vol 2’
- Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappelli with the Quintet of the Hot Club of France (Ace of Clubs)
- JJ Cale – ‘Okie’
- Sonny Rollins – ‘Saxophone Colossus’
- Bob Dylan – ‘Love and Theft’
.'It’s a good time - you know - it’s a celebration of life.' CLICK FOR MORE
From Washington D.C., Rod lays it down with passion and authority. He plays the deepest grooves – he can really make it cook.
Amongst others, Rod has performed/recorded/toured with:
Gil Scott-Heron, Hugh Masekela, Angela Bofil, Ronnie Laws, Jon Hendricks, Bennie Maupin & Natalie Cole
Rod’s Top 5 Album Recommendations:
- Chaka Khan – ‘Funk This’
- Wynton Marsalis – ‘The Magic Hour’
- Richard Bona – ‘Scenes From My Life’
- John Scofield – ‘Plays The Music of Ray Charles’
- Herbie Hancock – ‘Possibilities’
.'It’s a good band for listening to each other.' CLICK FOR MORE
Pete, aka – ‘The Groove Gangsta’ – is a master at creating a rhythmic soundscape. He’s so damn Funky.
Amongst others, Pete has performed/recorded/toured with:
Norman Cook, Basement Jxx, Steve Coogan, Denys Baptiste, Jazz Jamaica, and DJ Vadim’s Oneself Project & Herbaliser.
Pete’s Top 5 Album Recommendations:
- Otis Redding – ‘Otis Blue’
- Meshell N’Degeocello – ‘Peace Beyond Passion’
- The Temptations – ‘The Temptations Greatest Hits’
- Grace Jones – ‘Night Clubbing’
- Miles Davis – ‘Kind Of Blue’
.'A band with eclectic influences - great tunes' CLICK FOR MORE
Robin brings passion, lyricism and rhythmic drive to everything he plays.
Amongst others Robin has performed/recorded/ toured with:
Van Morrison, George Coleman, Kenny Wheeler, Phil Woods, Curtis Stigers & Arturo Sandoval.
GET IN TOUCH WITH US